It is described by Woodforde's as "Fresh and zesty with crisp floral flavours. A background of sweet malt and a hoppy ‘grapefruit’ bitter finish characterises this champion bitter".
My usual approach to drinking is - mouth open - glug glug - yep that's nice - the end.
So taking a bit more notice of what I should be tasting, how to taste it and what to look out for was in order. This sounded interesting, and more geared to the kind of drink I wanted to drink when I decided to start Homebrewing. So why not throw it into the bucket to bubble away.
Which is where it stayed for seven days, in the garage, cuddled up to a brew belt during the night.
After seven days in the bucket I bottled it up using carbonation drops for conditioning and carbonating.
As I did with the Coopers Australian Lager, I left the bottles in the garage for two weeks. Only, then it was summer, now its the end of November and 5 degrees celcius. Newbie knowledge shining through.
FAIL.
I opened a bottle, expecting to taste the fruits of my labour, only to not hear the sound of gas escaping as I popped the cap off. Disappointed.
I thought, OK, so its not as lively as I would have expected, but maybe pouring and tasting would surprise me.
NOPE - flatter than water, thinner than Kate Middleton and duller than Nick Clegg.
First thought was that it was a bad brew, and it was going to have to be thrown away. I turned to my more experienced peers on Twitter and the Brew UK forum that I had been using as a great source of information.
Almost straight away my mind was put at rest. I just needed to bring them into the house for two weeks to get it kick started. Great, so there would be a bit of a delay, but as long as I didn't have to throw it down the drain I didn't care.
So after 10 days in the house, I put a couple of bottles into the fridge to see how it was going, and BOOM.....blummin' lovely. The advice I got was spot on and it really did taste very nice.
I'll be leaving future brews in the bucket for 10 - 14 days, to let it clear a bit more and reduce the sediment being transferred into the bottling bucket.
So after a bit of a hicup - and probably a valuable learning experience, I'm going to really enjoy this batch, having had to put a bit more work and tweaking to save it and make it right.
Really enjoying this and have put on a St Peter's Ruby Red Ale on a few days ago. Ready to drink on New Years Eve - perfect.
2012 will see me move to the next stage. I've bought the recipe ingredients for Way to Amarillo IPA - looking forward to moving on and learning some more.

No comments:
Post a Comment